Ballast Point Park was originaly named “Jules Verne Park”. Mrs. Chester W. Chapin controlling owner of the company which operated the city’s first electric trolley cars, purchased these acres and in 1894 developed this site into a tropical park as a terminal for her line. She named it for the French writer Jules Verne (1814-1905) who in his famous novel “From the Earth to the Moon” first published in 1865, chose Tampa town as his launching site for the imaginary shot of his rocket to that planet near one hundred years ago.
Recent renovations include a new playground, splash pad, and walks. A pier restoration project was also recently completed.
Park Photo Gallery